Sunset illustration goes to fine art ; the process

Lately, I've been getting inquiries about taking my smaller watercolor sunset illustrations and adapting them onto canvas. I got a recent commission from a lovely woman in Erie, PA (thank you Marnie) and so, she asked me to blog my process so that she could follow along.




Above is the original sunset #15 watercolor, below I start to gesso my canvas,,,

 
gesso primer, layed on thick for underlying texture, original drawing with colors pumped up on the computer makes it easier to reference,,,



I use acrylic paint, because I feel comfortable with this medium, I can paint more accurately, and I can layer and work after it dries, (it's more forgiving than oil) 

 "artist helper" Lauren Seibel, she helps me with keeping paint on my palette and fresh water, she also gives me astute suggestions about layout and color! 





above, I analyze the layout and start to map out large blocks of colour, and here comes the sun! 



Making sure the focal point (the sun) is in the right position, the client is very much attached to the original watercolor design, and although she understands there's room for exploration, I know that I need to be precise without losing any kind of rhythm, movement or whimsy,,,, She said to me, "I want you to do your thing,, " which is music to an artist's ear! 



I nailed the layout! By the way, this happens over days, not minutes. Then, I start to work on textures, colour, and patterns.  I usually work with one brush size unless I need to go smaller for detail, or i'll use a larger brush for large areas of colour, for this painting, I found myself rubbing the brush dry onto canvas to create texture, also laying thick dollops of paint in areas, I like the idea of the painting being tactile, so if you rub your hand against it, it's not smooth, to simulate most surfaces in nature,,,




above is a close up shot of the top left to center of the painting, I want to show how I'm starting to add detail and designs, (pretty close to the original drawing), I found this great pen that has a paintbrush-like tip with pigment ink that lays down perfectly like paint! a multiliner SP, love it! So, I'm real happy the way this painting is turning out, it's been a journey, but the transition has been delightfully seamless. I guess that's what naturally happens when you enjoy what you are doing. I'm glad I stumbled upon that  first natural sunset in Erie, PA that inspired this experience. It's been uplifting to say the least, the artistic process, and there's so many aspects and avenues to explore. I feel energized when creating them, and that's what I'd like to document, is a feeling for others to enjoy for years to come! 

I will post the finished painting when I'm done, probably in a couple weeks, cheers! -Tara


Comments

Popular Posts